Tuesday 4 February 2014

New Year, New Friend

2/4/14
It has been a few days since I've blogged, apologies. Since I spoke with you all last, I haven't been up to a considerable amount, mostly just everyday class and hanging out in London. Sunday Jacey and I went to Chinese New Year in Chinatown, supposedly it is the second largest celebration outside of China...I don't buy it. After a parade of 2 dragons, white kids doing fake karate, and people dressed in horse costumes (it's the year of the horse), it was over as quickly as it began. A real let down after all the hype we had heard around town! Nonetheless, I've been to Chinese New Year in London and if that's not cool to check off a list then I don't know what is! After our somewhat disappointing morning Jacey and I went home, to Starbucks that is! Sad as it might sound Starbucks is one of the places in this city that actually feels like home, no one is rushing you or yelling for a taxi, people just sit in oversized armchairs and relax. If I close my eyes it feels like I'm at Starbucks on Buffalo Gap in Abilene with Kayla, Corinn, and Rebecca. Miss you girlies by the way! Anyways, we ended up spending the better part of 2 hours in there just talking and getting to know one another. Jacey is a super sweet girl who has such an amazing outlook on life. Her testimony is amazing and I love how Jesus rescued her, seriously I love how good God is!
At New Years!

With my sweet new friend :)
We then went to the afternoon service at Hillsong United Church London. Hillsong is a church that was started in 1983 in Sydney, Australia and now has hubs all over the world. For those of you who have been to Passion it felt like that! It was so crazy that that much passion for Jesus and His name was in one place, to be a part of something bigger than myself. The rest of Sunday was spent doing homework and watching Princess and The Frog with my roomie, its okay to be jealous, she's pretty great. Monday was an uplifting class on the Black Plague, endearingly called the Black Death, and the Great Fire of London in 1666. Seriously though, everything in this city has burned down multiple times. JUST PUT OUT YOUR FIRE AND THE THATCH ROOF WON'T CATCH. Or at least get a fire extinguisher, geez 17th century Londoners get it together. Other than that miniature rant, I have nothing to report!
Missing you all,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment