Tuesday 21 January 2014

How Not To Be American

1/21/14
Alright, so there is no concept of personal space in Europe and I'm not gonna lie it makes me sad when people on the street aren't friendly. Texas definitely has its perks. Other than that everything is great here! Today Emily and I went out by ourselves and rode the tube to a few book stores so that we could start looking for books to do book reviews on. I almost forgot that I was actually here to study and do school work, but not to fear, I was reminded today. We ended up at Blackwells and another one called Foyles. This semester I am required to read and do 3 book reviews over one of Britain's wars, I think I've decided on the Wars of the Roses and yes, you'll get a history lesson on that once I know more myself! I'm also required to do 2 book reviews over The English Reformation. Oddly enough, I'm looking forward to reading all of these books, I'm such a nerd. I ended up only buying one book today, as I want approval from my professors before I spend 20 pounds on a book that won't fulfill the class assignment. The book I got is called Blood Sisters: The Women Behind the Wars of the Roses, and even if it won't work for class I still want to read it. Emily's graduate work is far more extensive than my mere undergrad studies and she ended up buying 6 or 7 books today and she still needs more! Yikes!
I found this book today and thought I'd share it with you all:
 Ps I was a little offended by this book...but it was still amusing.
After our book excursion we came back to our part of town and enjoyed a quite, albeit late, lunch at Pret. Pret has prepared fresh sandwiches and fruit among other little ready to go things, it is already one of our favorites because it is so convenient and practically on every corner! During lunch Emily noticed a bookshelf that said "Read them and bring them back", basically a cafe library. One of the books was a journal that people had written or sketched in and it was really cool to look through, we even ended up adding a little something and of course an ode to Texas. We were flipping through the pages and this was written in tiny handwriting:
It was a simple and yet sweet reminder of my Saviors love. 
The rest of the day was spent reading for my English Reformation class tomorrow and doing a tiny bit of shopping. I got postcards, a plate for my Grammie, a tacky tourist t-shirt that my Dad requested, a snow globe for Jamie Beth, and a few other tid bits just so that I'm not buying everything at the very end of the semester when I'm completely broke! Now its back to reading.
Missing you all,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment